Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Going the distance

Time for an admission here. There's a reason why I love flying so much, even though I may not match the super-speeders' mph. My legs just can't handle it - after just a few minutes, they start to hurt, I start to lose my breath, it's not pretty.


For this reason, when I have to run, I prefer to do it alone - avoid the mockery, that sort of thing. So when my wife offered to go running with me, I was less than thrilled with the prospect. While she's seen me at my worst, I still try to avoid reaching new levels of worst. Her 20 minute jogging goal seemed to me a proposal to do exactly that, since the old hams start to hurt at about 5 minutes. But, between Alba's insistence and the fact that we'd be using the action simulator (positioned next to an air conditioner) to do it, rather than heading outside in the hot summer sun, I soon found myself jogging by her side.

Yes, it was painful. Yes, I had trouble keeping my balance when it was done. But Yes, I did it. And I did it again (once again by her side) a few days later. It's amazing the power that a beautiful young woman can have in her husband's life.

2 comments:

Grandma Jule said...

Congratulations! I salute you!

Keep up the good work! In February, you'll be glad you did!!!

Grandma Jule said...

Do you play some appropriate "Hero Entrance" music while you run?

Do you have some?

Would you like some . . . .?

I don't know about you, but *I* find it a LOT easier to keep going with visions of grand goals in my head, a grand companion at my side, and grand and glorious music pounding in my ears . . .

Which classic Superhero are you?

Your results:
You are Superman
Superman
95%
Spider-Man
85%
Green Lantern
70%
Iron Man
60%
Batman
55%
Hulk
55%
Robin
52%
Supergirl
45%
The Flash
45%
Catwoman
35%
Wonder Woman
30%
You are mild-mannered, good,
strong and you love to help others.
Click here to take the Superhero Personality Quiz